Saturday, April 4, 2009

From Many, There Is One

While browsing the net this early Saturday morning, I've decided to do a kind of mixed-bag post of everything I feel is suitable to be posted on Disteria, enjoy:

-- A news piece that seems to have gone under the radar in a week filled with G-20 drama from across the pond, the Bureau of Labor Statistics have released March's job loss rate, estimated at about 663,000. While the Dow Jones Industrial Average continues it's 4-week rally (the biggest since 1938) by climbing 39.51 points to settle at just over 8000 points. This rise is largely seen as a positive opinion on the G-20 talks in various world markets. But last month's jobloss rate brings USA's unemployment rate to 8.5%, the highest since 1983, and since the recession began in December of 2007, 5.1 million jobs have disappeared across the country.



-- The G-20 talks have officially wrapped up, with the group of world leader's creating their final communique entitled "The Global Plan for Recovery and Reform". Over at The Atlantic, Marc Ambinder notes that President Obama and Keynesian economic policies couldn't get everything that they were seeking from the summit and it seems as though Europe is still generally pessimistic about plans to spend our world out of this recession. While the world leader's smooched it up and had as many photo-ops as possible, thousands of protestor's lined the streets of London's financial sector to rally against corruption in so much spending and the leader's failed grasps of the dangers of global warming. These protests are brilliantly documented in pictures over at The Boston Globe, part of their "The Big Picture" series which I find is usually an awesome display of photojournalism.


-- The Boston Globe is under pressure itself from its parent company, The New York Times Company, which is threatening to close the newspaper down if $20 million in union concessions aren't made. I hope things can get sorted out, because even with their own personal follies, the news industry needs as many resources as possible to keep information flowing to the public, and I damn well like The Globe's photojournalism series!


-- And after all that weighty news I feel I must also share one of the best movie trailers I've seen in quite some time. Where The Wild Things Are, slated for an October 16th, 2009 release (a day after my 21st B-Day!), is the big screen adaptation of the children's picture book I'm sure we've all become fans of. The trailer seems to represent a story that is both emotionaly raw and visually stunning and it's all helmed by the visionary Spike Jonze (who I've posted about before).
The trailer features the song "Wake Up" by one of my favorite bands The Arcade Fire (featured below), and I think it goes extremely well with the imagery presented. All of this seems to be giving me the hint that this will soon become one of my most favorited movies, so I am definitely excited for its release!

The Arcade Fire - Wake Up


Found at skreemr.com


And that is all I have the time for :/
more to come soon!!

Peace,
Drew

No comments: